INDEPENDENT NON-EXECUTIVE DIRECTORS x3
As the UK's recognised National Governing Body for Olympic weightlifting and para-powerlifting, British Weight Lifting’s (BWL) role is to inspire a nation of weightlifters and para-powerlifters through exceptional leadership and expertise. The organisation is responsible for the growth and success of weightlifting and para-powerlifting at every level. Their work sees them support a network of weightlifting bodies, clubs and gyms across the UK, as well as the thousands of people actively involved in Olympic and Paralympic weightlifting disciplines. BWL strives to deliver exceptional training programmes, educational structures and competitions that create opportunities for individuals to participate and excel in the sport.
Weight lifting in the UK is undergoing a period of growth in general participation as well as elite performance improvement, including medal success in major championships such as the Olympics and Commonwealth Games. It is an empowering activity for both sexes and is seeing female participation grow considerably.
Due to the completion of terms by some Non-Executive Directors on the Board, there now exists the opportunity to appoint three new Board members. Whilst there is a degree of flexibility in the functional expertise required, BWL are particularly interested in candidates with the following three areas of experience:
- Finance (including a recognised financial qualification)
- Marketing/ Commercial
- Sport funding stakeholder and governance
To make an effective and positive contribution to the Board of British Weight Lifting.
The directors are empowered to direct the Chief Executive and Management Team, to provide independent strategic advice and to guide BWL to long-term growth and success.
- To attend four to five Board meetings per year and two Committee meetings per year and contribute appropriately to ensure that the corporate objectives of British Weight Lifting, key performance indicators and the overall vision for the whole of the sport are achieved within the budget set by the Board (The head office is based in Leeds. Attendance by video link is sometimes utilised)
- Provide strategic insight and support to the Chief Executive and Senior Management Team
- To attend the Annual General Meeting each year
- Where appropriate, act as Board appointee to an appropriate Committee and undertake the roles and responsibilities set out in the applicable job description for that position
- Support appropriate activities, competitions and events to raise the profile of British Weight Lifting
- Prepare appropriately for each Board meeting and to keep up to date with current developments within weightlifting and para-powerlifting and more generally in the broader sporting environment
- Participate in an agreed annual appraisal and review process for Board members
To apply, please send your CV with a brief covering letter, stating the reasons and motivation for the application, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please also email Daryl Mason for a full copy of the Candidate Briefing Document.
Commitment to Equality
BWL is a recognised equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief and gender. BWL welcomes new ideas and perspectives. This ethos has seen us create an incredibly committed, professional and skilled team that is at the heart of everything we do. Furthermore, we are dedicated to helping our staff fulfil their potential and continually encourage professional development at every opportunity.