** SEARCH CONCLUDED ** CEO - BRITISH WEIGHT LIFTING
Based Leeds/hybrid working
As the UK's recognised National Governing Body for Olympic weightlifting and para-powerlifting, British Weight Lifting’s (BWL) role is to inspire a nation of weightlifters and para-powerlifters through exceptional leadership and expertise. The organisation is responsible for the growth and success of weightlifting and para-powerlifting at every level. Their work sees them support a network of weightlifting bodies, clubs and gyms across the UK, as well as the thousands of people actively involved in Olympic and Paralympic weightlifting disciplines. BWL strives to deliver exceptional training programmes, educational structures and competitions that create opportunities for individuals to participate and excel in the sport.
Weight lifting in the UK is undergoing a period of growth in general participation as well as elite performance improvement, including medal success in major championships such as the Olympics and Commonwealth Games. It is an empowering activity for both sexes and is seeing female participation grow considerably.
The CEO is responsible to the Board, to lead the organisation and ensure the achievement of strategic goals. This includes driving the commercial and operational strategy of BWL to continue to develop additional revenue streams. The governing body has a successful and growing coach education and training enterprise and is currently launching a new competition format, targeted towards a much broader and more diverse strength audience, with the aim to build an exciting, enjoyable and relevant event that can contribute to more people to understand the very real physical and mental health benefits of being fitter, healthier and stronger.
BWL has recently launched a new strategy “STRONGER-TOGETHER” for 2021-2025 which incorporates two key strands:
BWL as an enabler and partner showcasing strength as a lifestyle:
- Advocate for Strength • Positive Experiences for all
- Connecting Health and Wellbeing
- Connecting Communities
- Membership at the Heart of everything we do
- Enabling ambition – Performance and Talent
- Workforce and People
- Innovation to Enable Broader Management
Key responsibilities of the CEO role include:
- Providing leadership and development of all areas of the organisation, which includes performance, operations and participation growth of all staff, volunteers and the general membership
- Establishing an annual operating plan through which the strategic objectives of BWL may be delivered
- Developing the uplift in sustainable commercial revenue, derived from the education and training enterprise, sponsorship, membership growth, mass participation initiatives, merchandise sales and streaming
- Being the lead spokesperson and ambassador for BWL in developing and sustaining the relationship of BWL with stakeholders in the UK and with international governing bodies
- Creating and driving a World Class environment and medal winning culture across the whole performance programme, through the building of strong relationships with all stakeholders including Home Country Associations, other related associations, clubs and athletes
Candidates for the position should be able see the potential and opportunity for the growth of the sport and how the national governing body can lead and support in these areas. An understanding of the requirements of the key funders; UK Sport and Sport England is important. You will need to be innovative and commercially astute, understanding how to successfully diversify revenue and maximise the opportunity of the programmes in place. You will also require a general understanding of elite performance and how to provide the overarching support to an Olympic programme.
To apply, please send a CV and cover note (ideally as one document) to email@example.com A call can be arranged by emailing Daryl.
Closing date for applications: 16th April 2022
Commitment to Equality
BWL is a recognised equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion, belief and gender. BWL welcomes new ideas and perspectives. This ethos has seen us create an incredibly committed, professional and skilled team that is at the heart of everything we do. Furthermore, we are dedicated to helping our staff fulfil their potential and continually encourage professional development at every opportunity.