** SEARCH CONCLUDED ** INDEPENDENT CHAIR - PENTATHLON GB
Pentathlon GB has a head office in Bath
This is a voluntary position (plus expenses)
Pentathlon GB is recruiting a new Chair, at a pivotal moment in the sport, and is looking for an effective, driven, and experienced individual to lead the team.
After the recent gold medal success of the Tokyo Olympics and subsequent World Cups, a successful bid to host the 2023 Modern Pentathlon and Laser Run World Championships, as well as the forthcoming Paris Olympics, this is incredibly exciting time to lead the Pentathlon GB Board.
With the Modern Pentathlon World Championships being held at Bath University in 2023 and a flourishing world class programme of podium athletes, opportunities exist to build on the sports family of sponsors and commercial partners. There is also an organisational focus on maintaining international relations activity as Modern Pentathlon looks to secure its 2028 Olympic status and to deliver membership growth and participation over the coming period to support both income streams and future sporting success.
We are seeking a candidate with strong Board experience, proven leadership skills, a clear understanding of Governance and a commitment to drive our sport forward. Candidates do not need to be from an elite sport or Pentathlon background, we welcome those with expertise from a wide range of sectors.
The position is voluntary, with expenses paid. Terms are for 2 years with an expectation of 2 terms and a maximum of 4 terms served. The Pentathlon GB head office is in Bath, with flexibility around where Board meetings are held.
Personal Attributes, Responsibilities and Experience
The successful candidate will utilise their personal attributes to:
- Uphold the highest standards of integrity, teamwork, and diplomacy, forging genuine and purposeful relationships
- Provide strong leadership and communication, including representing both the members and company
- Commit to drive forward Modern Pentathlon and the family of sports at both grassroot and elite levels
Critical areas of responsibility in this role include working to:
- Set the agenda, style and tone of Board conduct and discussions to promote effective decision-making and constructive debate
- Oversee the recruitment, induction, and development of new Directors
- Promote and enforce the highest standards of corporate governance, including ensuring a clear structure for and the effective running of Board committees
- Establish a close relationship of trust with the CEO, providing support and advice, while respecting executive responsibility
- Promote diversity and inclusion principles across the Board membership, the Executive and throughout the sport
- Develop strategy and develop policy
- Provide operational support and line management to the CEO
- Represent the Board in national and international environments where appropriate
- Influence UK and International bodies on relevant topics
- Provide financial support to the CEO and finance team to ensure that PGB funds are spent economically, efficiently, and effectively
Suitable candidates for the position should possess substantial board experience, either as Chair or senior level in the public, private or voluntary sector. Alternatively, substantial board experience as a member of a National Governing Body of a Sport or similar organisation. You will have a passion for sport, with an awareness of Modern Pentathlon and an enthusiasm to help take a sport forward.
You will need to have the ability to develop and nurture relationships with various stakeholder groups and take decisions in an open and transparent manner.
Application process to apply: Please send a brief covering letter with your CV, ideally as one document, to: email@example.com
If you have any questions about the role, a call can be arranged by contacting Daryl on the above email.
Closing date: Please submit application by 26th July
Pentathlon GB is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief.