** SEARCH CONCLUDED** INDEPENDENT CHAIR - BRITISH BASKETBALL FEDERATION
Voluntary (plus expenses)
The British Basketball Federation is seeking to appoint an individual with the necessary blend of skills and experience as Board Chair, to guide through a period of growth and development on the path to Paris 2024 and beyond.
The BBF runs GB Basketball in a federated model, under a board of management comprising of an Independent Chair, Independent Directors and representatives of the three member Home Country Associations (HCAs) of Basketball England, basketballscotland and Basketball Wales.
Acting as a driving force the Board Chair will provide the leadership and strategic oversight required to help develop key relationships with partners to gather the resources required to achieve the vision to create a world class elite basketball programme in Great Britain, and to support the overarching strategy for the growth of basketball in England, Scotland and Wales.
Key responsibilities and skills required:
Purpose & Direction: Work closely with the Board to set the appropriate purpose and direction for the sport and the organisation and maximising their contribution to achieving it.
Strategic Guidance: Lead, support and challenge the Board to drive and deliver the British Basketball strategy in accordance with the mission and values.
Governance & Integrity: Ensure British Basketball Federation meets the highest standards of corporate governance, integrity and probity.
Strong Stakeholder Relations: Develop and manage strong collaborative relationships and communication with the Home Country Associations, funding partners, Government, FIBA and other stakeholders / influencers within basketball.
Excellent Partnership Development: Oversee the effectiveness of our basketball networks and how we engage and create consensus to move the game forward in relation to our strategy.
Commercial & Financial Acumen: Approving annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary obligations.
Advocate Equality, Diversity & Inclusion: Ensuring the commitment to a diverse board and workforce that reflects the communities the British Basketball Federation serves.
Operational effectiveness: Chair the board meetings, get the best from the board members and the workforce, creating the conditions for a high performing governing body.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about the success of British Basketball and who ideally has a track record of board management.
Ideally the Board Chair will have the following attributes:
- Have the necessary strategic vision
- Can exercise good, independent judgement
- Possesses a strict sense of confidentiality
- Is able to think creatively
- Will show willingness to speak their mind
- Has an understanding of, and accepts the legal duties, obligations and liabilities acting as a Board Chair.
- Is able to work effectively as a member of a team
- Accountability, openness, honesty and governance
- Has excellent leadership skills and prior experience of committee work
- Can exercise tact and diplomacy in their work
- Possesses good communication and interpersonal skills
- Acts with impartiality, fairness and has the ability to respect confidences
- Is willing to undergo an Enhanced CRB check
- Will show willingness to devote the necessary time (see below)
The Board Chair will be expected to be able to make the following time commitments in order to fulfil their duties:
- Undergoing Induction training
- Monthly board meetings
- Attending partnership events
- Regular contact with other Board Members, Workforce and other key stakeholders.
This is a non-salaried position. Travel and other reasonable expenses will be reimbursed.
Nationwide. Meetings may be held throughout the Country.
Board Chair (and board members) will serve a four-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term
How to apply
We welcome applications from all sections of the community, regardless of age, race, colour, sex, marital status, religion, ethnic origin, nationality, disability or sexual orientation.
To apply, please send CV and covering letter (as one document) demonstrating how you meet the stated criteria and how you will bring the required experience, skills and knowledge to be successful in the role to Daryl Mason of Hartmann Mason on firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 22nd July 2022